POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Apr 2010 04:19:46
Message: <4bd54ca2$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.xkcd.com/732/

This puzzles me too.

I mean, if you're going to force everybody to buy a new TV, new
receiver, new type of disk and a new machine to play it, why it increase
the resolution *significantly*? Why only increase it by a small amount?
I don't understand that.

(And hell, half the equipment and content that says "HD" on it isn't
even full resolution anyway... Why allow half a dozen resolutions when
it would have been far simpler for the designers and less misleading for
the public if they allow only one resolution?)

Hell, when I was at uni ten years ago we had computers exceeding these
resolutions. With Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4. Has technology not
moved on since then? It's not like there's any technical challenge to
using a higher resolution, after all...

PS. I am similarly baffled by the current fashion for "widescreen" TVs.
Given that 99.998% of all video content ever created is in 4:3 aspect,
what the hell is the advantage of buying a TV with a 16:9 aspect?? I
don't understand.